I took away a slice of Spice’s homemade carrot cake, promising to let them know what I thought. It was enormous, two-tiered and loaded with a spiced cream cheese frosting. It cost €3.50. I brought it back to the office. We ate it. It’s gone. Dear Isidre… Congratulations. You sell the best carrot cake one can purchase in Barcelona, hands down.
But aside from Isidre’s carrot cake (and banana bread and muffins and poppyseed cakes and…) Spice is, first and foremost, a coffee café. One of very few spots in Barcelona that work with Café de Finca (a small, purist operation out of Castelldefels), Isidre and Lee pour a blend they chose just for their locale, their machine and their taste. Smaller coffee roasters like Café de Finca don’t import millions of beans from all over the world grown in different soils and conditions (and so with different flavors) to then over toast them in order to reach a uniform(ly bitter and burnt) flavor. They leave that to Marcilla. Spice’s blend has a naturally sweet flavor. As does the café itself, in an understated and ideal location just off Blai. Also, properly large to-go cups will make many a happy expat.
- ¿En qué barrio estás y por qué? Poble Sec because it’s not so “sec” anymore.
- ¿Qué deberían saber tus clientes de tu negocio? Spice Café is an independently owned coffee shop in the heart of Poble Sec. The café offers delicious homemade baked goods, coffee, and free wi-fi. We also offer amazing bagels on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Si tu bar/restaurante fuera un animal, ¿qué animal sería? A lemur.
- ¿De qué color(es) son las paredes? Café con leche.
- ¿San Miguel, Estrella, Moritz o Estrella Galicia? Moritz.
- Los que vienen por primera vez tienen que probar: Our homemade, delicious carrot cake.
LEVEL: Pre-Intermediate and up
The Conversation Cup is a social gathering in which members of the community can practice their English in a casual setting. The Spice Café offers a communal table which can sit up to 8-10 people at any given time in which our classes will take place.
Every two weeks, the class will pick thematic questions, expressions, vocabulary, and photos from cups in the center of the table to spark discussion and learning. Every Tuesday, the class will have games along with conversation on the assigned topic. Every Thursday, there will be a song and activities which connect to the theme plus plenty of conversation.
Due to the popularity of the Conversation Cup, we ask that you prepay your 5€ before each class to reserve your seat at the table. Your deposit also includes one basic coffee, tea, or water to drink during the class. Please drop by the Spice Café for more information and ...
- Nombra hasta 3 bares, restaurantes, shops o locales barceloneses favoritos: 1) Cervecería Jazz 2) Picnic 3) La vieja Habana
- Algo que nunca pondrías a un cliente: Bad service.
- Si tuvieras que elegir solo dos: bueno, bonito y barato ¿cuáles dos serían? Bueno y bueno.
- ¿Dejarías entrar a Chicote en tu cocina? Para acabar con él.
- El cliente siempre… should leave with a smile.
- ¿Qué pone en las servilletas? 100% recycled.
- ¿Qué les serviría a, en este orden, Puig, Rajoy y Yoda? Café con leche, a glass of water and a piece of carrot cake, in that order.
- Meat or vegetable? Vegetable.
- Qué es para ti un Happy Hour?Every hour is Happy Hour at Spice Café.