Deep-Fried Eggs With Chili Chorizo Caramel Recipe
Ingredients for 2
• 4 eggs
• 1⁄4 cup of flour
• 1⁄4 cup of breadcrumbs
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 brown onion, finely diced
• 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
• 40 g of chorizo, finely diced
• 3 bay leaves
• 4 tomatoes, diced
• 1⁄2 a cup of brown sugar
• 3 tbsp of smoked paprika
• 3 tbsp of sweet paprika
• 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
• Sunflower oil for deep-frying
This month we interviewed Joel Serra Be-vin, the man behind the menu at Clubhaus, the Born’s multi-venue space where there’s always something going on. He shared his thoughts on food, art and play, and a personal recipe from his own kitchen.
What’s up with food, art, and play?
It’s the Clubhaus motto. It’s this intersection that drives all aspects of Clubhaus. With the menu and the various salas, we don’t only want to feed people but also to surprise and entertain them.
Speaking of food, what’s on the menu?
Street food is the inspiration behind our menu, and it’s what really interests me personally. I’ve done a lot of travel in Asia, and I love the concept of one guy making his best thing.
At Clubhaus, we keep the dishes simple and fun even though some of them demand complex techniques and take hours to prepare. We do fusion cuisine marrying Mexican and Latin-American comfort food with bright, animated Asian flavors. Think Korean tacos, Japanese achiote flame-grilled chicken and poke salmon tostadas.
What recipe are you sharing with us?
I’m passing you a recipe from my cookbook that inspired the type of cooking we do at Clubhaus. You get complex flavor for minimal effort. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
1. Heat a pan with oil and add onion, garlic, chorizo, bay leaves and salt and sauté over low heat for 10 minutes until caramelized.
2. Add diced tomato, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, sweet and smoked paprika and continue to sauté for another 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and liquid is beginning to thicken and turn glossy.
3. Strain through a sieve then return to the saucepan and simmer for another 10 minutes until mixture has reduced to a caramel then set aside.
4. Place the eggs in a small pan and add enough cold water to cover them and bring to a boil then remove the pan let sit for 6 minutes.
5. Remove eggs and peel them immediately, using a tea towel if they are too hot for your hands.
6. Set aside one bowl filled with flour, another with breadcrumbs, and another with beaten egg yolks. Fill a deep pan with sunflower oil and heat for deep frying to 150-200 degrees Celsius). Carefully coat eggs in yolk, then in flour, then return to the yolk and finally roll in breadcrumbs. Add eggs one at a time to the hot oil and deep-fry for five minutes until golden and crispy then set them aside on a paper towel and repeat for the remaining eggs. Drizzle caramel over the eggs and serve.